Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Vegan Pho

I still remember the first time I finally admitted the vegetarian pho at my favorite pho joint was actually in a beef broth. It was the same time I found pork fat in my sprouts. Needless to say I spent a long time attempting to perfect this recipe. Is it exactly the same? Nope, It doesn't taste like dead animals. It's lighter and fluffier and many a little baby cow thanks you. Plus it's super duper awesome.


Vegan Pho

1 bulb, yes bulb garlic
1 bunch green onions
1 stalk broccoli equal amount cauliflower
1 can mock dock
rice noodles
3+ T palm oil
salt

Bean sprouts, thai basil, jalapeno or thai dragon peppers

Remove the skin and inner green sprouty thing from the garlic. thinly slice. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium, add garlic. Chop green onions into 1-1/2 inch pieces add to garlic when garlic is very lightly browned (about 3-4 min). Saute aprox. 2 more min. Chop Broccoli and Cauliflower into bite sized bits. Drain and Rinse mock dock. Add mock dock to skillet saute aprox 3 min- add more oil if needed, I use a ton of oil. Add broccoli and cauliflower, cover.

MEanwhile, in a seperate pot Boil water and prepare rice noodles as per package instructions. When done drain and rinse to prevent the noodles from sticking together and continuing to cook. Set aside.

Boil more water in a the same pan and add the soup base to it. Salt to taste. (I am a giant salt addict, I will not give my recommendations) Seperate into as many bowls as wanted, add noodles. Serve with bean sprouts, thai basil and peppers. Yumbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment